I’m currently a Knight-Wallace fellow at the University of Michigan studying the surprising feminist history and possible future of home economics class. Until the summer of 2017, I covered New Orleans education at NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune. Before that, I worked for WGBH News and the Boston Globe (news, arts, ideas, magazine, etc.). My work has also appeared in the New York Times, Boston Magazine, WBUR and the Online Journalism Award–winning wbur.org, Ploughshares, the Nashville Scene and No Depression, among other outlets. I began my career in 2002 as a freelance arts reporter and music critic. Read my résumé or email me.
- Higher ground: What happened to KIPP New Orleans grads after high school? (Education Writers Association fellowship grant, Louisiana Press Association features-writing award)
- Farah’s journey: An Iraqi-American adjusts to the Trump era
- How 3 top New Orleans schools keep students out
- Cheating at Landry-Walker High: first story, most recent
- New Orleans’ Katrina school takeover to end, Legislature decides
- Sean’s story: Expelled from school, a senior struggles to graduate
- More NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune coverage